Birth Preparation Programme
The Wise Hippo is a new approach to birthing. We believe a ‘positive birth’ experience is a state of mind, it’s not defined by what happens during labour and birth but by how a woman feels about her baby’s birth. Because of this belief we are able to teach skills and knowledge that empower women to trust their instincts and ensure that their baby has the right birth on the day.
Childbirth can be an empowering and positive event in your life – one that you will want to remember. With the help of hypnotherapy for birth, The Wise Hippo Birth Preparation Programme will teach you techniques that will enable you to birth your baby in a more comfortable, calm and relaxing environment, and one where you are in control and you need less intervention from others.
You will learn:
- Fear release methods to allow you to be relaxed and confident for the birth
- Self-hypnosis inducing deep relaxation
- Massage techniques – stimulating endorphins, your body’s natural anaesthetic
- Visualisation exercises to keep you grounded, serene and positive
- Different breathing techniques for labour and and birth
- How your mind and body work together efficiently and comfortably
The Wise Hippo Birth Preparation Programme not only prepares you and your birth partner for childbirth in a comprehensive way but also enables your baby to have a gentle birth which has been proven to result in a calmer baby. The classes will encourage you to develop life skills that can help you prepare for and enjoy both a positive birthing experience and the many rewarding years of parenthood that lie beyond.
The Hip way to birth your baby!
Group classes following The Wise Hippo Birth Preparation Programme are now being held in small groups (2-6 couples) on weekday evenings and weekends at The Wellbeing Centre, Newbury.
“I want to empower all pregnant women, and their partners, to trust themselves and the choices they make, so that they can achieve the best birth possible and know that their baby had ‘the right birth on the day’. This life-changing education creates strong, confident parents who inherently trust themselves and, by using their natural instincts, make the choices that are right for themselves and their families.”
– Claire Bushell, Director of The Wellbeing Centre and Bump, Birth & Baby Guru 😉
The Wise Hippo Birthing Programme, which uses hypnosis techniques among many others. There are many birthing programmes that use hypnosis that are collectively labelled ‘hypnobirthing’. The Wise Hippo has a unique approach as we do not focus on one specific way of birthing.
We appreciate that every woman has unique needs, wants and concerns about her baby’s birth, and we teach with this in mind. This in turn enables each couple to prepare for their baby’s birth in a way that feels right for them and ultimately to achieve the right birth on the day, whatever path their birthing takes.
Couples learn how to prepare for the birth they want and the birth they eventually have, with the help of a toolbox full to the brim of techniques that they can use not only for pregnancy and birth, but also for ever – tools for life.
The Wise Hippo Birthing Course:
The Wise Hippo Birth Preparation Programme is a complete 10 hour course that runs as 4 x 3 hour classes (allowing for a break in the middle and time for questions). The course is currently taught on Thursday evenings 7-10pm and Saturday afternoons 3-6pm. Other course times may also be available from time to time.
The course costs £397 and includes The Wise Hippo workbook and 5 x mp3s to support home practice. Ongoing telephone and email support is also included to ensure that you feel confident and supported as you approach your birthing. For more information as to what is included and for a SPECIAL PACKAGE OFFER including complementary private consultation sessions to provide comprehensive support to you, please book in to come along to a group Relax, Breathe & Birth Session or 30min private Skype session with Claire (subject to availability). Click here for available times and to book:
The Wise Hippo Birthing Programme classes can be attended by Mum and Birthing Partner (normally the Dad but doesn’t have to be) ideally between 20 – 34 weeks of pregnancy allowing plenty of time for practice.
What is taught in each class is shown below:
- Explaining the relevance of the Hippopotamus
- The Picture of Childbirth today
- The Wise Hippo Birthing Programme materials
- Defining Hypnosis
- Acknowledging Pain
- The Physiology of Birth and the Impact of Fear
- Mind / Body connection
- The Impact of Others
- Taking charge of your thoughts
- Relaxation – the antidote to discomfort
- What is Relaxation?
- Positions for Relaxation
- Remember to Breathe
- Eyes Open Hypnosis
- Time Distortion
- Birth Partners Script
- Establishing a practice routine
- Prenatal bonding
- Choosing where to have your baby
- Choosing who will be with you when you have your baby
- Alternative options for promoting comfort
- Medical intervention
- Natural nudges of encouragement for your baby
- Interventions explained
- Benefits of a natural birth
- Writing your birth plan and making your birth choices
- Physical preparations for birth
- The mirror mantra
- Fear release session
- Soothing strokes and the power of positive touch
- Positions for birth
- Ligaments and pelvis
- Humming your baby down – birthing your baby
- Birth partner’s role
- Using the techniques during labour
- When baby arrives
- Sea of Serenity – Birth Hypnosis session
- Your practice and preparation diary
For more information and to book your place on a course, please contact Claire Bushell on 07919 128966, email email@example.com or speak to our Reception Team at The Wellbeing Centre on 01635 552874 (welcoming phone and drop-in enquiries Monday -Friday 9.30am – 5.30pm excluding Bank Holidays).
Alternatively you can check dates and book in for a FREE 30min Skype enquiry session with Claire using the online calendar: