Pilates is a system of exercise that can work for anyone regardless of fitness level. Whether you want to build strength, avoid or recover from an injury, cross train for a specific event, improve posture and balance or gain a greater mind body awareness, Pilates can offer something for all.
Wednesdays 12:30 – 13:30
£10 per class or save 10% on a 6-class package
with Michaela Doran
What is Pilates?
In the early 20th century, Joseph H. Pilates developed a method based on his experience in different sports and techniques like gymnastic, yoga, boxe, martial arts, body building, etc. He called his method “Contrology” because everyone, with the practice of it, should establish a deep connection with their inner self, achieving a total control of the mind over the body.
He defined 6 principles in his method:
- Concentration: the focus on each body movement and breath will enhance the body awareness, switching off the left brain hemisphere, inducing a state of relaxation.
- Centre: the main workout starts in the centre of the body and his muscles. Pilates called it “the power house” in reference to all core muscles, mainly around the abdomen, and how improving their strength, flexibility and control the beneficial effects will spread around the whole body.
- Control: Pilates’ called his method “Contrology” to point out the control of mind over the body and all its segments with the expertise on mindfulness.
- Precision: during the workout is more important to execute one exercise with exactitude and a lower amount of repetitions than having a sloppier form for long series. A good Pilates instructor provides detailed instructions to their students with a progressive and increasing focus on many small details of execution.
- Breathing: deep, controlled, diaphragmatic breathing activates a proper recruitment of core muscles, favouring the blood circulation, concentration and relaxation. Pilates recommended visualising the lungs as bellows as you bring air in to the fullest and release it in the same manner. He wrote that breathing is the most integral part of exercise and learning to breathe correctly is the most important thing.
- Flow: Pilates routines are completed through a gentle flow. Grace, ease and fluidity are the intention Joseph Pilates applied to all exercise. Continuous, smooth, and elegant movement as you transition from one pose to another will bring strength and stamina according to this principle.
These classes, taught by Michaela Doran, will be Matwork-based with occasional use of small equipment such as bands, balls, magic circles, weights and rollers. The classes are taught with each individual in mind and therefore personal feedback will be given in each class. The small class sizes (maximum 8 people per class) ensures that everyone gets individual attention.
Prices & Booking Information
The classes are run weekly on Wednesdays 12:30 – 13:30. You are welcome to book in a class at a time at £10 per class or to save 10% on a 6-class package (click here to order this and then schedule in the classes you’d like to attend).
Places are limited to 8 people per class so please pre-book to avoid disappointment. Booking is available online – please click on the button below:
Alternatively, you can contact The Wellbeing Centre Reception Team on 01635 552874 to make your booking. The Reception is available to take drop-in and telephone enquiries weekdays 9:30am – 5:30pm (excluding Bank Holidays).
About Michaela Doran
Call me: 07788 586302