*** Please note that Leah is now on maternity leave and is expected back May 2017. In the meantime, please see the Pregnancy Yoga page for more information on the Wednesday evening classes with Elena. ***
What are YogaBellies for Pregnancy classes?
YogaBellies for Pregnancy sessions are unique, revolutionary prenatal yoga classes for pregnant women. We use traditional yoga postures (asana), adapated and beneficial for pregnancy and the common ailments associated with pregnancy, along with an especially created combination of self-hypnosis and yoga nidra (deep relaxation), as well as breathing techniques for pregnancy and birth (pranayama.)
We practise yoga postures suitable for pregnancy and birth, adjusted for each trimester; invaluable breathing techniques for pregnancy and labour and also relaxation and meditation techniques that mum can also use once baby arrives. At the end of each class we have an informal group chat about the focus of our class for the week. This class also helps you prepare for birth and is so much more than just physical stretching
Who is YogaBellies for Pregnancy for?
Our classes are open to all healthy pregnant women from around 14 weeks gestation regardless of current yoga practice or experience. If you have any Pre-existing medical conditions or have had any serious problems during pregnancy, please run this past your GP before starting the class and discuss with your YogaBellies teacher. Please don’t worry if you have never done yoga before, a lot of the mums will be trying it for the first time and our classes are suitable for all levels.
Why should I practice yoga during pregnancy?
– Stretching exercises promote circulation of blood and oxygen throughout the body, relaxing both body and mind and promoting a sense of general well-being.
– Pregnant women typically shift their pelvis forward in response to the increased weight, which places significant strain on the lower back. Yoga strengthens the core muscles, resulting in better posture and alleviated back pain.
– Yoga strengthens the muscles used in delivery, which will make the entire process easier and less painful.
– Pregnancy can shift the position of the digestive organs, impeding digestion and causing unwanted side effects. Yoga can help reverse this process and restore healthy digestion.
– Practicing yoga will build muscle mass, which will give you more energy and make your pregnancy easier. It will also make it easier to lose the weight you put on while you’re pregnant.
– One of the most important benefits of yoga for a pregnant woman is the practice’s focus on breathing. Concentrating on breathing properly will teach you to relax your mind and your body, even in frightening or high-stress situations, helping your pregnancy to develop healthily.
The classes are kept deliberately small in size so booking is essential.